Monday, March 29, 2021

Holy Week Monday - Burdens

Remember, “two weeks to flatten the curve”? That was 55 weeks ago.

One of the images I recall that, for me, symbolize the change this brought on us is this one. Celebrating our granddaughter’s birthday via a technology few of us had ever heard of before March 2020. Zoom.

And what about Easter 2020? Skipped, Zoomed, Live-streamed. If ever there was a year that we needed Easter it was 2020. Perhaps that is why when Christmas-time approached after months of “flattening the curve”, so many began celebrating with decorations many weeks in advance. We longed for joy and for the times when it easier to approach each other and to celebrate our Lord and Savior.

When Jesus entered the temple on the Monday before Passover he saw the selling of lambs and doves for the sacrifice, and the exchanging foreign currency for the local Temple currency. The area of the temple for this activity was dedicated for non-Jewish followers of God to worship. And it was through this section that the Jewish followers of God had to pass to reach the courts closer to the Temple.  What Jesus saw was an activity that while perhaps intended to help the public, was putting up obstacles, putting burdens on them as they sought to worship God.

Jesus said to us, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Are our choices, expectations, requirements creating obstacles to God? Or are we helping make the burdens light?


No comments: