Monday, April 6, 2020

Monday of Holy Week - Unexpected changes

When I used to travel on business, I might be away from home for over a month. Some trips were nearly two months long away from home.  As the business trips neared their end and the time to come home drew closer, I would look around at the sights, at the steps I was taking, at the things I was doing each moment and think, “This is the last time I will see this. Next week, I’ll be home”


Today was to be the first day of a new experience for my wife and I. This afternoon was to be the day we boarded a ship to sail across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe. We had been planning this trip for months. As recently as 25 days ago, we were still expecting to sail across the ocean with sights like this for several days in a row.



But as we all know, the world today isn’t the same world we lived in 25 days ago. Our plans had to change. Instead of ocean, we see the same rooms we see each day. Nice rooms and a nice house, but not the voyage we had planned for.


I wonder back to the Holy Week many years ago and the thoughts the disciples of Jesus had as they planned for the Holy Days coming at the end of the week, and their time with Jesus after that. We have an idea of their mindset during that week while they were in the Temple with Jesus.  

“As Jesus was leaving the Temple that day, one of his disciples said, ‘Teacher, look at these magnificent buildings! Look at the impressive stones in the walls.’”


And after Jesus told them, “Yes, look at these great buildings. But they will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another” the disciples asked, “Tell us, when will all this happen? What sign will show us that these things are about to be fulfilled?” (Mark 13:1-4)


These events Jesus told them were still years in the future, and he had already warned them about what was coming by the end of the week. But the unexpected changes coming weren’t on their minds. I doubt they could imagine the reality of, “This time this weekend.”


Father, when changes come I don’t understand (or even like), let my plans always be in your hands. And I will trust you when the unexpected comes.

No comments: